First, what is the difference between residence permit and permanent residence? While residence permit is temporary, permanent residence is obtained indefinitely.
The status is obtained in accordance with the rules of the Schengen zone program in Slovenia. In order to move to the country, a foreigner must provide a required set of documents.
A residence permit card is only issued after dactyloscopy (fingerprinting).
Along with a residence permit you receive the following benefits:
- opportunity to eventually obtain permanent residence and citizenship;
- under certain conditions, free secondary education;
- free healthcare;
- visa-free travel to other Schengen countries;
- social support;
- opening and developing of your own business;
- right to stay in the country for the duration of the residence permit;
- use of banking services.
There are also restrictions for foreigners. You cannot vote or work in state institutions. As an individual, you are usually not allowed to buy real estate in Slovenia. To do this, you need to obtain the status of a legal entity.